Monday, April 15, 2013

Post Surgery

It's done! Korban is adnoidless. We had to be in Provo at 6:15 am, which meant leaving here before 5:30, so Kennady got to have a sleep over at Russell and Scott's. Korban was pretty grumpy. He didn't go back to sleep at all. He hated his wristband and the surgical gown and the booties. I can't say I blame him. His surgery was a little after 7:30. It only took 15 minutes or so, and then the dr. came out and talked with Ben and I before Korban was even in recovery. The dr was really nerdly excited and said "His adenoids were HUGE!" Like golf ball size. In Korban's head, which is only in the 10-15% for size. No wonder the poor kid's had a hard time.

Waking up from surgery is never fun, but Korban did really well. After 5 minutes he started eating cookies, drank a box of juice, wet his diaper and said "out." So we left (well, they had to take his IV out first). They told us he'd probably want to sleep a lot of the day. He slept about 30 minutes in the car on the way to get Kennady. Kennady was very disappointed we showed up so early and begged to stay and play, so we let her. I was thinking we'd come home and Korban and I could take a nap. Didn't work out that way. Korban woke up as we left Kristi's house. And he was hungry. Eating more than he's eaten in months. We got home and I got him out of his carseat and he took off running, leaping down our stairs. He was so hyper. First he cleaned the living room (he picked up everything and threw it in a pile in the kitchen), then he drug the cushions off the couch, and then he spent the next hour and a half jumping off the couch. And running in circles, and eating anything I would give him. This lasted until about 3 PM when he finally crashed, only to take a two hour nap. This is all without any pain killers, not even Tylenol. The next two days went pretty much like that.

Saturday and Sunday he's been a little cranky. I think it's starting to scab over, so his throat probably hurts. And he has the worst breath ever. It is seriously killing me from 2 feet away. Worse than a poopy diaper. The great thing is that Korban already seems to be doing better without them. We can understand more of what he says because his little voice is so much clearer. He can even breath through his nose! The best thing so far has been that he's eating again. He's been pretty much only eating bread, cheese and some fruit for several months. Suddenly he's back to loving pasta, beans and will at least try most things. I guess it's hard to chew when you can't breath through your nose. We've not seen much improvement in sleep, but he still has a lot of drainage from the surgery. Plus I think we're going to have to break some bad sleep habits he's acquired. That will have to wait.

Because I've planned this crazy trip. Here's the plan. We all leave for Oregon on the 25th. The 26th is Kristal's wedding. Ben will have to leave sometime that weekend to get back to work. The kids and I will stay and play until the 30th. That night a little before midnight we will board a plane in Portland and fly 3 1/2 hours to Dallas. With time changes that puts us there at 6 am. Korban will be a lap infant. My grandpa and grandma are going to pick us up at the airport. We'll hang out with them until that evening when my cousin Brooke will come pick us up. Oh, yeah, and we're traveling with only 3 personal items. It's a super budget airline (we paid $120 for Kennady and I to fly roundtrip from Portland to Dallas), so they charge for everything, an arm and a leg for carryons. Probably two of our personal items will be filled with my clothes and necessities. Luckily I don't have many clothes that even fit me, so it won't be much of a change for me. The other personal item will be filled with snacks and entertainment and a change of clothes for the kids. When we get to Texas, Brooke is letting us borrow clothes from her kids and carseats. Plus we may hit up the outlets for some needed summer clothes for the kids and then ship them back.

So we'll hang out with my cousin and her kids for the next day, then my aunt Tina is driving us up to Missouri. We'll be going canoeing. We'll spend the next week in Branson hanging out with family and friends. Then Mom and Dad are going to drive us down and stay the weekend in Texas. We fly back to Portland around midnight on the 14th and get in at 1 am. We'll probably spend a day in Oregon again before we drive back to Salt Lake, just in time for my ultrasound and then Dan & Heather's wedding. Phew, I'm tired just thinking about it. But I think it's going to be a lot of fun. I haven't seen most of my family in Texas for a long time! Kennady is really excited to get to see both of her grandmas (and grandpas too) and get to fly on an airplane. I think she will be great for the traveling. Korban I'm not so sure about. We may not make many friends on our overnight flights. Hopefully he will either go to sleep or be content to watch a movie and look out the window. Getting through the airport we're going to use a stroller. And hopefully Kennady isn't too tired to walk.

The only other news I have for you today is that it is snowing. And I hate it.

No comments: