Friday, August 31, 2012

Opening Doors

Um, maybe I'm getting a little bored of blogging. Or maybe we're too boring for blogging? And I don't have pictures. Or funny stories. To get funny stories, you usually have to leave the house. Which we do very little of. The kids are pretty funny. And I think my memory is going. To have funny stories, you have to remember them. I also don't have any political commentary, and I hardly keep up with current events. My brain is kinda mush, so I don't have any deep thoughts. I'm working on that.

Most likely Ben will be holding his application for grad school for another year. There's debate on whether or not this is a good idea. Most people seem to think it's a terrible idea. Well, I suppose it does seem that way. But sometimes life is a little more complicated than it appears at first glance. So we're still thinking on it.

I might also go back to school. Not this semester. See, I didn't think of this until the last minute, and working out the logistics would have been a nightmare at this point. So maybe next semester. I'm thinking a certificate in accounting. First, I believe that, along with my Bachelor's would allow me to sit for the CPA exam, or at least get me an entry level job as a bookkeeper, if I ever wanted one. Plus, I think I like accounting (I've never actually taken a class....it's just a hunch I have), and I would imagine it's a good skill to have. Then that should fill all my prereqs if I ever wanted to get a Master's in accounting. This semester I may take a tax class. Ben can't really understand why I would ever want to do any of this. Who likes doing taxes? I do. And I don't quite understand why he'd ever like working in a lab doing lab stuff. I don't really know what he does. And when he tries to tell me, I usually fall asleep.


What have we been up to? Well, not a whole lot. But more than sometimes. Mom Nelson, Michelle, Adam and Abe came to visit last week. We had fun hanging out. I got to see Ben in his full geekiness. All of his brothers and sisters (minus Kristal...where were you?) played Starcraft together in Rob's basement for hours. It was a pretty funny scene, especially because they were all so serious. Mom and I went yardsaleing. and I got some sweet stuff. Like tin airplanes to hang from Korban's ceiling, a bike for Kennady, an outdoor playhouse for Kennady and Korban, a new play kitchen (the kids pretty much destroyed the other one they had) and other miscellaneous items. I have big plans for Korban's room now. Just waiting for the time and money to do them. I guess I probably should get permission from our landlord to paint the room, but that seems overrated.

Oh, I guess I do have one funny story. Wednesday, the kids and I were planning to take Ben to work so we could have the car to go play at Mindy's house. Ben and I were both getting ready, and Ben comes into the bathroom asking if I have the key to our bedroom. I told him there should be one above Korban's door. He said, "No, an actual key." What? So I go look, and sure enough, it's an exterior door lock, which requires an actual key to open. Maybe our house key is the same? Nope. Both our phones are in the room. Luckily I was already dressed, but Ben was not. He had no pants. We did find some in the dirty laundry after awhile. So we tried a bobby pin, a credit card. The hinges were on the inside, and there was no way to take off the doorknob. We tried our window, but it locks automatically when you close it, so we didn't have much success there either. I tried throwing a cord with a loop in it over the top of the door, using a compact mirror under the door, and somehow managed to lasso the doorknob on my first try. Unfortunately, that didn't do anything either. We tried to get a hold of our landlord via email, you can imagine how successful that was. We thought of calling a locksmith, but we didn't have our phones. Ben decided he wanted to kick the door in. I didn't think it was the best idea, but we were kinda out of options. And he was pretty insistent. I told him to go easy. He thought that was ridiculous. He didn't. It definitely worked. Ben said it was a lot easier than he thought it was going to be. Now we have a door frame to fix. The landlord did get back to us later that day, and brought us the keys and new doorknobs.

1 comment:

Rob & Kristi Nelson said...

Bah haha! Why do our husband forget to put there pants on