Monday, August 20, 2012

Why Do I Have to Title These Things?

I can't seem to keep up these days. Blogging, laundry, my children, dishwashing, general household chores, showering. Yet, I feel like I've gotten more done in the last couple of weeks than I have in a long time. At least I was being productive, until Korban got sick. More on that later.

Kennady and Korban are finally starting to play well with each other. Enough that I've even been able to take showers during the day. I really like it. I also was keeping the house clean. Since we have more space, we're a little more organized, Kennady is starting to be a really good helper, and Korban is starting to be able to be left unattended for short amounts of time. Korban actually has a nap schedule now. And they are long naps. It only took us 15 months, but we finally got there. I've even had a little time for me. I sometime shave my legs in the shower, more than once a week. I started reading again. I've finally been getting around to finishing/starting some of my projects that have been in the works for a LONG time. Like Kennady's quilt. It is finally, finally, after more than 4 years, finished. And I made a cute little pillow to go with it. I started Korban's quilt. I got the entire front pieced. So I may get it done before he's two.

We've also had lots of projects around here. First, we are still unpacking. The stupid things that I can't figure out what to do with. Like the 500 cords we have, that I know that most of them go to something that we have, but I just don't know what. Ben is making some shelves for our bedroom closet, which we really need to put things like sheets and blankets. This apartment lacks closets. But the premade Ikea shelves I already had aren't good enough, and Ben is making custom shelves. . . .  We still need to hang our pictures. In my opinion, it's a two person job, because someone has to make sure it looks right by looking from the other side of the room. And because it's loud, we can't do it after the kids are in bed. Same story with the curtains. Kennady's room is nearly all put together. She has curtains. And a cute mirror and lamp that I found at a thrift store. And she has some things hanging on her wall. I may even get the rest of her pictures hung up today.

Ben is working on putting up a fence. I will be so excited when it's finished, because then we can play outside without me constantly chasing Korban away from the road. First we have to pull up the sod around the perimeter. Um, that's hard work. We worked on it Saturday for several hours, and only got half of it pulled up.

You remember that linen cabinet I bought at Goodwill for $17? What, you don't? Well, it was rather serendipitous, because it's precisely what I needed, and I found it exactly when I looked for it. It was kind of ugly though. So I frosted the glass, added some shelves, painted the whole thing white, and bought new knobs. I've got to touch up the paint a little, and then it will be awesome. I should have before and after pictures. I've just got to find the charger for the camera battery.

Kennady started a soccer skills class. Ben takes her every week and they have a little daddy/daughter time. She loves it. She got a jersey and everything. That lasts a couple more weeks, and then we will probably try to find a dance or tumbling class, since she won't be starting preschool this fall. I'm kinda torn about that one. She'd really love it, but she has two years before she starts Kindergarten, I don't really want to pay for it, and there's nothing that they will teach her that I can't. So I think I'll just keep doing little classes for her and she can learn some other skills with little kids away from home.

Korban, well, he was doing great. And then he started teething and picked up hand, foot and mouth disease at the same time. So we're back to not getting as much sleep as we need. That's life I suppose.

We are still adjusting to the new place. We really like the library across the street. They have Daddy Donut storytime on Saturday mornings, a toddler play group Monday mornings, a puppet show every month, and other random activities. Last week they brought in a train that the kids could ride. We only had to wait 1 1/2 hours to ride it (they had other activities to do while we were waiting, but still). Kennady would go every day, but Korban is kind of a tyrant and just pulls books off shelves the entire time we are there. We like our little park in our neighbor hood, but it seems to be mostly void of children during the day, because it's so hot? We love our backyard, and we will love it even more once the fence is up. We are still meeting neighbors and people in our ward. Our upstairs neighbors are quite enjoying their last week before school starts. The mom is a school teacher, so she's living it up too. Right now they are driving us crazy, but it should get a lot quieter next week. If it doesn't, let the apartment wars begin.

I've been to a couple Relief Society functions in the ward. I'm struggling to find common ground with a lot of these ladies. They all seem to be very well put together, fashionable, and world travelers. I'm pretty much none of those things. I've never left the country, my children don't own a single piece of clothing from Janie and Jack, and, well, I pretty much never use hairspray. Everyone gasped when I took two cookies, and nearly everyone drove to the event, when they all live less than half a mile away. The one thing I did learn was most of these ladies like to read. I like to read. Maybe this will work out after all. They have book club once a month. I've got two weeks to read Anna Karenina. We'll see how this works out. I quit as soon as they read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.

Ya, so that's life right now. I've got a couple back-posts to write. You know, about how Ben and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary. Trust me, it wasn't that exciting.


No comments: