Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Wheels on the Bus

What a crazy week. Good crazy. I love it when we have nice weather. I also got the car on Wednesday this week. We drove down to my friend Ann's so our girls could play together. I also got to go look at some apartments. Pretty sure we are moving. Just not sure where yet. A place with 3 bedrooms :) Seriously, I'm going to love having more space. Apartment hunting is pretty tiring though. Especially when I was lugging the kids around to do it. It's also a little frustrating that rent is so high here.

The place we are considering the most right now has 3 bedrooms. It's right behind the library, a grocery store and a park. It's a basement apartment in a super cute house. With a yard. Which isn't fenced. It's in a really nice neighborhood, so we wouldn't have to worry about our neighbors. There's tons of storage. The walls are yellow and green (NOT WHITE!!!!). The kitchen has really nice appliances. The dining room is not carpeted. The one thing that is really holding me back is that there is no bathtub. We can get a little fold up tub for Korban for about $30, but Kennady will just have to take showers. The other thing I don't like is it's in an L layout, the bathroom and one bedroom on one end, the living room and kitchen in the corner, and the other two bedrooms (one being the master) on the other end.

Anyways, onto the better stories.

Friday, Korban had a dr appointment downtown. Ben was going to catch a ride with Rob, but Rob played hooky to work on their house, so Ben took the car. He was going to come and pick us up and take us to the doctor. But, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and not make him behind on hours at work, and let Kennady fulfill a lifelong dream, by taking the bus. Yep, with the two kids.

So, after much rushing in the morning, because Kennady didn't understand that buses do not wait for people, we barely made it to the bus stop in time to catch the bus. It was approximately 9:40 a.m. Had the diaper bag contents emptied into a backpack, and a fabric sling for Korban. Kennady was so giddy with excitement, which was pretty amusing to all the other not-so-giddy bus riders. She also loudly asked "Why is the bus stopping?" every time the bus stopped. Which was a lot. We finally made it to campus, where we were dropped off at the University Hospital at 10:15. Kennady was ready to go. The plan was to catch a shuttle directly to Ben's work. However, when I texted to see when the next shuttle was supposed to show up, I discovered there was no next shuttle. For whatever reason. I thought we'd at least catch a university shuttle that would get us closer, but by the time I figured out which colors those were, I realized they had both just left, and we'd be sitting in one spot for 20 minutes. Which, if you know Kennady, is pretty much torture. No big deal, we'll just walk across campus. It should only take 30 minutes, and that still gives us 15 extra minutes. So we start walking. Kennady holding my hand, Korban on my hip. Wait, up that big hill? We'll just cut through campus. Walking, walking, walking. About 25 minutes into this walk, I have no idea where we are, which means we're not nearly as close to Ben's work as I had hoped. As I'm looking around for anything to orient myself on this campus I've never set foot on, I feel a sharp tug on my hand. I stop and look over, and Kennady has seated herself in the middle of the sidewalk. "Mom, I'm tired. My feet hurt. I need a snack." Look at time. "Uh, no Kennady, we can't stop." Hysterics. "Ok, so just climb on my shoulders and I'll carry you for a little while."

So now I'm hoofing it across campus with 30 lbs of Kennady on my shoulders, 20 lbs of Korban on my hip, and 10 lbs of backpack on my back. We can still do it. It can't be too much further. Look at time. Oh. Must move faster. Sweating. Oh. No. What is that? A giant power station in the middle of campus, totally fenced off, and I'm going to have to go around it, in the opposite direction from where I need to be? Call Ben. "Uh, I think you need to come get us. We're going to be late. Kennady's refusing to walk, so I'm carrying both kids." "Where are we? Somewhere in the middle of campus. You know, by that big power station. Yeah, I have no idea where it is either. We'll just keep walking, and you come find us. Oh, no cell phone? Uhmmmm....well.....yeah.

Don't worry, he did find us. He also thought I was nuts. Like every other human being we encountered on our trek that morning. And we did make it to our appointment on time. Or mostly on time.

Korban, despite his inability to gain weight, is perfectly normal and happy. Or as normal as he can be with a mother like me. He does have a really tiny head though. And no one knows why he doesn't sleep, or what we should do about it. So, yeah, it was a super productive appointment.

Then we met up with an old friend and her daughter, played outside and then headed to the zoo for the remainder of the day. At least I had a stroller for the rest of the day.

Saturday Ben and I took the kids to Planet Play, a pizza buffet/arcade. The kids were in heaven. They both love food. They both love mini golf. Kennady loves go karts (they wouldn't let Korban ride). They both love the little carousels (the ones that take quarters). I won the Ski Ball bonus tickets with my amazing ski ball skills. It was awesome. And Kennady got to pick out sweet prizes. I think Ben had fun too :) We were there until they closed at 10, and then we got one last ice cream cone. And then one more, because Daddy accidentally dropped it while we took a potty break.

Sunday we came home from church to no electricity. We grabbed stuff and headed outside for a picnic. Our apartment is 80+ degrees all the time now, unless the a/c is on. Then the electricity promptly came back on.

Today we woke up and went to look at another apartment. We weren't impressed. So we're going to move into the basement one in Sandy. It's taken me three days to write this post, in case you haven't figured that out. Then we went and got donuts. Ben fed Korban some donut as we were driving him back to work. Korban says "More, Dada!" Apparently he will speak in sentences for donuts. Then we came home and went to play outside. As we sit on the grass, a neighbor walks by and says "Hey, I think they were spraying something on the grass, you may not want to sit on it." So I track down the landscapers to try to figure out what they were spraying on the grass. No one speaks English. After much ado we track down the boss, who barely speaks English. I manage to find out that it's pesticide that they sprayed all over the grass, and no one, especially kids, should be on it all day. I was MAD. The apartment manager was indifferent. She didn't want to put up any signs.

Luckily, we had the car and we ended up going and hanging out with Ben's Aunt Wanda and his cousin Brandon, who's Kennady's age. We went to a cool park and had another picnic.

And, of course, I got pictures of none of this.

No comments: