Every so often I keep up with current events. I used to do this religiously. You know, since I did get my undergraduate in journalism. But now, I don't work anymore. Ha!
What's that, you didn't hear about the big stink with Hilary Rosen accusing Ann Romney of never having worked a day in her life? Maybe your t.v. was occupied with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse all day. Anyways, she sure got all those lazy moms fired up. Me? Well, not so much. It's not the first time I've heard it. But I thought I'd weigh in just for fun.
Rosen said she meant that Romney was a little out-of-touch with the majority of female voters who don't have the option of staying home with their children.
Some 64% of all mothers with children under the age of six work. That makes me a little sad. I guess because I am one of those elite who doesn't have to work. You know, because we are so rich and stuff.
I get that some mothers have to work. For various reasons. There are also mothers who choose to work. That's their decision to make, not mine. I will say that I don't think that's the best choice. But I would never tell someone that to her face, unless during a very intimate conversation, because it's none of my business. It's between her, her husband
What makes me sad, is first the mothers that really don't have a choice, especially the ones that would love nothing more than to stay at home with their children. And second, the mothers who think they HAVE to work, when really they don't.
Staying at home with kids all day, everyday means a lot of sacrificing. Arguably more for some than for others. I have been lucky to have a husband, he is healthy, he can find a job, and he works hard. He's also been a student for the majority of the time we've been married with children. And yet I've been able to stay home with my kids. First, lots of blessings. Second, a really tight budget. I hate when we lose perspective of what are needs and what are wants. We need food, shelter, and clothing which means we need a job and transportation to get there. We want to be able to eat out, buy a house with a guest room, buy brand new clothes, and drive a new car and have a second car. We want cable, a gaming system, a flat screen tv, clothes in the newest style, etc. The list goes on and on. Trust me, I know, there are a lot of things I want. None of these things are bad, but they are wants. I would much rather give up something that I want, to give my children something they need: me.
After nearly five years of marriage (yeah, I know, that's like forever), we live in an apartment, we budget our grocery bills, rarely eat out, have one car, a freebie tv and no cable. I don't feel deprived. I mean, I would love to live in a house, but I don't feel like I deserve it (In an "after 5 year of marriage I DESERVE a house" type of way...not in an "I'm not worthy" sort of way).
Sometimes, especially after a long day with the kids, I think how nice it would be to go back to work. We'd have more money. We'd have more awesome stuff. We could send Kennady to a nice preschool. I wouldn't feel like my brain was rotting and oozing out of my ears during the few hours I sleep at night. Maybe we could even afford an awesome vacation. And I could probably even be nicer to my kids if I didn't have to deal with them ALL day. And my house would stay cleaner. Oh, it would be amazing. Granted, it would be a lot of work for me. I'd come home tired and still have to be the mom.
But then what? I've got to find someone to watch my kids. Heck, maybe I'd get really lucky and find someone I like and trust who is amazing with kids and yet I can still afford. She might even be more skilled than I in teaching a 3 year old. And have more patience (um, that's pretty likely). She might convince my toddler to eat lunch, and make a more nutritious one than I would. I may be a little stuck up, but I don't think anyone can love my babies as good as I can. No one is better at rocking them to sleep and making them laugh. No one is at good at teaching them just how and what I want them to be taught.
Sure I get to stay at home all day and have some wicked good times. Like gossiping with friends, shopping, lounging by the pool, going for long walks. But these things are NOT the same with kids. You are constantly interrupted by little ones pulling at you, asking you things, handing you things, needing things. Just try this: next time you are talking to a mom with little ones, start randomly handing her things without directing too much attention to it. Popsicle wrappers, buttons, chewed gum, whatever, she probably won't notice, she'll just take it. I get to do fun things. Go to the zoo, play at the park, create sidewalk art. Usually during the fun things I say, at least once, "Why do I even bother!" because a preschooler has thrown herself on the ground in a tantrum because she has to get in her carseat, or doesn't want to go potty.
And then there are the not-so-fun days. You know, the ones I blog about. Where it rains all day, and the house explodes, and there's injuries and naked kids, poop on the floor, mac and cheese for lunch and dinner. I don't get sick days. I don't get vacation. I don't get paid. My hours suck. My bosses are demanding and unreasonable. And the whining. Seriously, it is enough to make any grown person go insane. Dirty diapers? They are the least of my worries. It's that growing mound of laundry that scares me.
It's not easy. But it's worth it.
And to anyone who thinks it's a piece of cake, try it. I dare you. I give you 3 weeks before you crack and admit that maybe it's not what you thought it was. If you don't have kids, you can borrow mine. I'll go eat some cake. On a beach.
2 comments:
Well said! Once Beau starts getting that salary next year he intends to take out a million dollar life insurance policy on me. No joke. He says that won't even begin to cover the amount of "free" labor he'd lose if something ever happened to me. :)
Grim, but I think a good example of the value of this kind of job!
I was going to post my own response to this situation, but I think I will just copy and paste yours. :D
We miss you all!
Post a Comment