Thursday, December 4, 2008

Rant

Warning: negativity to follow.

Um, pet peeves- the little things you hate that make no difference on the outcome of your life, but which you just cannot seem to get over, move on, forget about or ignore. If somehow ignored for an extended period of time, they will turn into rants.

Stupid writing mistakes. Yes, we all make them, even me. I'm not even talking about typos- the little slips of the keyboard that go unnoticed. I'm not talking about commas, semicolons and colons- you seriously have to take a college class to get those down, and even then you forget most of it unless used on a daily basis. And I really don't care how terrible your writing is when you write a letter to your grandmother, or post a blog in cyberspace while juggling all of your other daily responsibilities. But if you get paid to form letters into words, words into sentences and those sentences into paragraphs, you have an obligation to do it correctly. And until spell check can distinguish between the right and wrong use of homophones, it's use does not constitute proofreading. Mostly when you are finished writing something you should reread it to make sure it makes sense. If you think that takes too much time then either 1. you've written too much, 2. you are lazy or 3. you've seriously picked the wrong profession.

From where, might you ask, does this rant come? The final straw, the one thing that took this much ignored pet peeve and threw in into rantdom, was a sewing pattern. Ok, so probably it was some hick old lady who can barely see and never finished high school and has spent the last 50 years making incredible things with fabric and thread, but I paid $10 for the pattern (well, really I paid $6 because I had a 40% off coupon). Due to her lack of technical writing skills, I had to seam rip the entire project not once, but twice. And yes, I was following the directions- as written. I had the mind to sue her for pain and suffering, but decided to dedicate a blog to her unprofessionalism instead. Darn you Penny Sturges, whoever you may be, for your failure to edit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sure is a lot of complaints. Hey don't be a hater my grandma didn't graduate from high school. She's very intelligent and often corrects my grammar and I have a degree in English. Hehe, I am sure you were frustrated though!

Marlene =) said...

...and you still conquered the pattern!

Jeff said...

I was hoping you were going to post what was written. I know what you mean about having tolerance for the layperson, but not the paid professional. Could you imagine how it would look if I made errors in the legal pleadings I had to write? Not to fuel the fire of ranting. I'm just helping you burn what you got quickly!

P.S. My verification word is decepula... kind of like DECEPtive Patterns U Laugh At. :D