Monday, December 1, 2008

If at First You Don't Succeed

I'm going to ask you to use your imagination for a minute. If you are so busy doing grownup stuff that your imagination is out of practice, go paint with fingerpaints for 5 minutes and then come back. By the way, if you are that busy, why are you reading my blog?

Here we go: Ok, so there's this cute little onesie, it's orange and white striped, which matches Ben's shirt (which means it's also orange and white striped). Now imagine a cute baby Kennady wearing this onesie and sweetly sleeping on her daddy's chest. Wouldn't that be a great picture? I noticed Ben had time to take a shower today, so I figured it would be a good day to get the picture. I put Kennady in the onesie, and crossed my fingers that she would not decimate it with spit up or poop. Then I waited patiently for Ben to get home from class and asked him to put on his matching shirt (which luckily was still semi-clean). Then the cute baby did not want to go to sleep. I thought I would settle for a cute awake picture. But said baby was not happy. And no one likes a frowny face, so I didn't even bother to get the camera out. Maybe next time.

I had this great idea a month or so ago to use my sewing machine to make Christmas presents for all my sisters and I saw this really cute apron that looked fairly easy. Well, I found out at Thanksgiving that someone has already beat me to the punch and has already started on aprons. After some brainstorming, I came up with a new project. I would tell you what it is, but I'm not ready to ruin the surprise yet. I had a little time today and actually pulled out the sewing machine, which is not the same sewing machine I nearly beat to pieces the last time I attempted to sew something. When Mom Ellis was here for a few weeks, she used my sewing machine and informed me that it wasn't me, it was the machine- it was stupid or broken or both. So we returned it and got a different one. This sewing attempt is going much better, but it might be Easter before I get them finished.

Kennady has given me an excellent opportunity for blogging tonight. She didn't want to sleep today at all, so by the time Ben left for work she was very cranky. The only way she will fall asleep now is if someone is holding her. Normally she'll fall asleep and then we can put her down. Not tonight. She must be held to stay sleeping. And since all she'll do when she's this tired and awake is scream, I think I'll just hold her and continue to try to navigate the computer with 1 1/2 hands. Traveling with a baby really throws off schedules.

Speaking of traveling...only 12 days until we can leave for Missouri. Today we bought a car top carrier online. I'm crossing my fingers that it will actually attach to our car. I am not looking forward to the drive. I am not looking forward to the packing. I am not looking forward to the apartment deep clean. I am not looking forward to further screwing up my baby's sleeping habits. I am looking forward to warm weather (although it snowed in Missouri a few days ago and it is yet to snow here). I am looking forward to seeing my family and getting to spend time with them. I am looking forward to Ben not having to go to school.

I think I am going to feel a little like a pioneer when we have to pack. There is so much stuff to take and so little space. I've already come to terms with the fact that there is no way the stroller can come with us (it barely fits in the trunk). I am thankful we have a travel swing, because it's a necessity (um, the only way our baby will sleep). Still, I don't know how we are going to do it, even with a cartop carrier. Sure, I lived out of a suitcase for 6 months when we were in Alaska and I survived- and even realized in the process that I have a lot of junk that I don't need. But I'm pretty sure the PackNPlay will take up the majority of the trunk, and we found over Thanksgiving that the diaper bag etc. takes up most of the backseat. Perhaps we need a bigger car.

5 comments:

Joel & Lila said...

I must have missed something, but it is okay, I know if I ask it now you will write me back when you get a chance. Are you going to Missouri for the Christmas holiday or is Ben doing another internship there?? When you deep clean your apartment, where is the next place you plan on living? Will your car hold a little traveling trailer? Sometimes, with the car top included, that is an easier way to go....

Jeff said...

I was going to say, "Great to hear you're moving back to MO. I hope to visit Brason next summer. In fact, I have a goal to do a super road trip and visit all my cousins!" However, Lila just planted a doubt in my head lol.

Well, whether or not you are moving to Missouri, it sounds like a great adventure.

P.S. My pass word is notstayi. I thought that very fitting around the idea of not-stayi-ng where you are.

Emily said...

Wow, is he done with school or is this just a break? I am excited to one day see the matching outfits!

The Ballard Family said...

You can never have a big enough car for driving across the miwest with a baby.
That's all there is to it.
Best of luck to you!
She is SO precious. STOP making me baby hungry and living too far away for me to visit the baby!

Devon said...

cant wait to see you!!!!!!!