Monday, July 28, 2014

Let the Adventure Begin!

We are moved into our new house and starting to adjust to living in Missouri. The move went slightly better than expected. Mom and my Aunt Donna came out and took Kennady and Korban and drove them back across the country. From what I heard, they were very good little travelers, despite none of the electronic distractions we sent with them working. They swam every night, ate at T-Rex cafe and even got to see a fireworks show. Mom kept them for the week while Ben and I furiously packed the house. Noah was not so good, but we did have a lot of people that helped us watch him. We also had a lot of help from family and there's no way we could have done it without them! We had pretty much everything packed by the time Noah and I hopped on a plane, and then Ben was left to pack the truck and clean the house- what an awesome man. Noah and I spent a day in Branson and then headed up with Mom to meet Ben at the house with the truck. We went out for dinner and then unloaded what we needed for sleeping. Saturday we had a whole crew show up to help unload the truck and it got unloaded in 30 minutes or less, it was crazy. We spent that entire day unpacking until we were all exhausted. Sunday we headed back down to Branson. We spent the week there swimming and enjoying time with the family. Everyone was pretty tired, so we didn't do everything we had originally planned on, but the nice thing is they are close enough that it's a lot easier to get together.

We headed back up to Kirksville with the kids and had plenty more unpacking to do. The kids love the new house, and the layout is nice, and having a bathtub makes everyone happy. I love having a garage! Eventually we'll unpacked the last dozen boxes and maybe we will park a car in there. Mostly I'm excited to finally get to do some of my refinishing projects this fall. We've made some friends already- the medical community here is very supportive and helpful. I don't think we could have picked a better place to go to medical school.

Ben started classes two weeks ago, and honestly I was surprised at how slow it started out. I was pretty much prepared to never see my husband for the next 6 years. It's steadily getting busier, but it's nice to be eased into it. I got to attend his white coat ceremony without kids and it was a great way to start out. We even got a shout out from the chairman of the board (he met us at the welcome picnic the day before and was happy to meet Noah, when I said he was the youngest of three he was a little shocked, especially when he figure out Korban was one of the other two, he said I was going to have my hands full, I laughed and told him that I already had my hands full)- he said something about those of us starting out with families, like the "guy with 3 kids, Noah, and the kid in the orange shirt (Korban). So we are probably crazy. Ben seems to like his classes and isn't totally overwhelmed yet (I hear it's unavoidable, but that the first couple weeks of classes didn't do it is a good sign).

I've been trying to finish unpacking and setting up house. The last dozen boxes are always the worst. I've also had lots of fun going to yard sales trying to find stuff we need (we sold some stuff, and every house has different needs). In the process I've found lots of cool stuff we don't need. Like a bike, a playset, a powerwheel and a wagon. Our little neighborhood here is great and safe and a fantastic place for the kids to ride bikes. Our landlord has been great so far, even letting Ben borrow some tools, and he mows the yard every week. It's so nice to not have to worry about that.  We found out we have a free pass (included in tuition) to the city pool here, which includes an indoor pool. There's several nice parks in town. Best of all, there's very limited places to spend money. The SAA (student advocate association, which is group for significant others of students) has a lot of activities. At the open house I even won a gift card to the "nice" restaurant down on the lake.

Which brings us to our anniversary! Ben and I have been married for 7 years now. Mom and Dad came up to meet Dustin here when he dropped off our car. They took us to dinner Friday night and we went swimming at the pool in their hotel. Then on Saturday they babysat so Ben and I could go out. We used our gift certificate for an early dinner, then headed out onto the lake on a paddleboat. We barely managed to get back to shore before we got rained on. Then we went to Home Depot and bought ourselves and anniversary gift- a patio table and umbrella. Eventually we might buy chairs for it :) Ok, it was admittedly a little lame of an anniversary, but, hey, we were in the same state. It was kind of funny, because in 7 more years Ben's medical schooling should be finished (barring a fellowship, which isn't in the plans as of right now).  I have a feeling that the next 7 years will go a lot faster than the first 7 years.


No comments: