Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Christmas Break: Take Two

Christmas break did, indeed, start over on Friday evening with the arrival of my parents. And I probably should have blogged sooner, because, well, I seem to have forgotten some of what all went on. There are pictures on Mom's blog. And, no, I can't put them up here for you now. Maybe after she sends me them on a CD.

Saturday was an awesome day. Ben went to help someone move. Maybe all the people he's helped move will help us move when the time comes. I won't hold my breath. Mom and I went and got mani/pedis. So nice to have pretty toes again. Then we all went to Tucano's, our gift from my Grandma and Grandpa Ellis. Many thanks, it was delicious. If you ever come visit we'll have to take you (if we're in medical school, then by "take" I mean show you where it is). Then we headed over to Temple Square to gaze at the lights before they took them down. I love it, it's so pretty. Did you know Temple Square has it's own New Year's Eve celebration? Well, I didn't. We got to hear bagpipers in the tabernacle. There was quite a bit of other free stuff going on, but the kids didn't seem too excited, and we thought we'd enjoy just going home and playing games. So we did.

Sunday we survived our first week of 9 am church. Ouch. That is early. But it does give us a day that seems a little longer, and naps that aren't so late. Kennady had her first day of primary. Ahh! My little girl is getting too big! She was so cute. And good. I was surprised. She had no problems with the transition. She went and sat down, without any prompting, and was still and quiet. More so than I've ever seen that girl. She wasn't at all disappointed to leave behind toys and snack time (although I'm pretty sure they still had snacks). The scariest thing is that I didn't realize that Relief Society was going over and they let all the primary kids out, and Kennady was no where to be found, and I started imagining her deciding to walk home by herself. But, luckily, the primary president had noticed she hadn't found the Relief Society room by herself, and was helping her.

Monday, Ben and Mom went snowboarding/skiing. Dad, the kids, and I went bowling/eating. Mom had her first experience skiing double black diamonds, and was pretty beat. I'm glad they made it down the mountain. Dad and I, undoubtedly had the harder day wrangling the kids. Kennady was particularly cantankerous. We did enjoy our bowling and barbecue though.

Tuesday we went to visit my great Aunt Margaret. Ben stayed home, in the quiet emptiness, to prepare for his interview. Aunt Margaret only lives a couple miles from here, and yet we've neglected to go visit her in the last year. There are probably other people who fall into this category. Sorry, I'm not adept at leaving the house with two kids. Then Ben and I got a hot date. To Home Depot. Awesome. We had to do some last-minute (ok, super late) Christmas shopping. Mom and Dad watched the kids. Kendra and Eisley were here when we got home. Then we had lots of fun.

Wednesday morning was crazy. Ben was super nervous for his med school interview at the U. He was also super paranoid about being late, so he woke up at 4 am and left the house sometime around 5 am. Mom and Dad had to get to the airport, by 8:30. No one woke me up until Mom and Dad were leaving. Kendra took them and I watched the kids, who slept, so I slept. It was rather amazing. They hit traffic. They were late for being early, and by all accounts it was nearly a tragedy. However, they did make their flight home. Kendra and I then met our old friends Chelsea and Bethanie, and Beth's husband and daughter at Jungle Jim's- the indoor carnival for midgets (aka children). Fun had by all. Then to Culver's, sans Bethanie and her crew. Great fun trying to feed the whiny children. Ben met us there. Then to Ikea. That place is always nuts. I will shop there though, just for kicks, because they offer one free hour of babysitting for my 3 year old. Then we headed out to Bethanie's new place to check it out. Ben was pretty pooped, so we didn't stay too long. Then home to put the kids to bed, and we picked up Cafe Rio for dinner. Yummmm.

Thursday, Kendra and I had grandiose plans. The children would have none of it. So instead we did nothing. I did make it out of the house while Kendra watched the kids to pick up some medicine, as it was pretty apparent my kiddos were getting sick. She and Eisley left that afternoon.

Friday the kiddos and I were sick. Boo. We did nothing. Saturday was the same story, except Ben was sick too. And Sunday.

No comments: