Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Life in Alaska


We're here! And we are finally getting settled in. Ben is having fun at his job at the clinic. He's done all sorts of new things- put stitches, draw blood, take vitals, do lab work, x-rays, EKG's and more. To answer the first question that everyone asks- no, we are not freezing to death. It is actually warmer here than in Rexburg, and there's a whole lot less wind. We do also have daylight- about 6 hours right now. Our apartment is right on the ocean, well on a bluff that overlooks the ocean. Unfortunately, due to bad planning, all our windows look out on the back lot, because the whole complex is facing the wrong way. Alaska is beautiful, although I would prefer a little more sun to enjoy the beauty in. I took the picture, as will be the case with most of the pictures on here. I went for a walk one day with my camera in hand. This is off the edge of the bluff. The snow was up to my waist! We've met some fun people. Our managers at the apartment, the Munyers, are really nice. And Berenice makes awesome homemade bread. We haven't been out to do too much sight seeing yet; Ben works a lot of hours. When he gets home it's already been dark for hours. We brought our dart board with us, and that keeps us entertained. There are somethings here that are a lot different. I go into shock nearly every time we go to the grocery store. $5 for a bag of chips! We started making our own chips. The banks are only open from 10-5 Monday through Friday. In fact, I think that's about normal business hours here.
Ben speaking; Alaska is weird, but really kinda fun. I like the snow an cool sunrises, (I always miss sunset.) We are waiting for summer to start; there will be LOTS of sunlight, so much we won't know when to sleep! We love Alaska!

2 comments:

Devon said...

Nice!! did you take all the photos? Hope to see more beautiful photos taken by you! miss you guys!

Devon said...

love the pictures- more!! please. I vote yes on the facial hair!