We've been here for over a month. That's crazy. I was pretty aware that these days were going to fly by. That's what happens when you have three rambunctious little ones who never stop moving. Honestly this start has been much less intense than expected. Every time Ben would show up at decent hour, or even early, it nearly threw me into a panic "Why are you here? Don't you have studying to do, classes? Are you going to pass your classes?" I'm sure that was annoying. He had his first section test on Monday, and passed every section with room to spare. So I can relax a little, because he seems to have a good handle on things. He, however, decided he can't relax a little, because he wants to do better. Sure he's gone everyday, about a normal workday, but without the commute, and then he studies every night after the kids go to bed, plus Saturdays usually get some study time, but really I don't feel like it's so awful. But pretty much everyone keeps reminding me that it only gets worse :/ Thanks.
Everyone here is sick. Kennady started, then to Korban, and then it hit me and Noah about the same time. Kennady was running a high fever for days, so we finally took her to the doctor, which was a lot harder than I expected considering this town is full of doctors. I told Ben to hurry up and be a doctor already. He put her on antibiotics, but I think we may be headed back in the near future, since her fever came back. Korban hasn't slowed down a bit, and Noah is just kinda grumpy. I'm ready to get out of this house and see real people (aka adults).
Kennady starts Kindergarten in a week and a half! I am not ready for this! There is no way she is big enough to go to school all day every day. Who is going to cut her food up so she doesn't starve? Korban is going to be so sad.
My funny story of this post (really it's not funny, but you cruel people will probably laugh at it anyway): The Dresser. Before we moved we sold Noah's dresser because I was fairly certain that the cardboard like stuff the drawers were made out of wouldn't hold up in 100% humidity. So I've been on the hunt for a dresser for him since we got here. We kept finding postings online, going to buy them and they were awful for one reason or another. Ben was less than thrilled, since he's the one I kept sending out to get them. I'd make it yard sales just minutes after the dressers had sold. I finally found one that I was sure would be great, she had tons of pictures and it looked almost brand new. We went to pick it up and were testing out drawers, and they were pretty hard to open. She said they were a little sticky. Eh, no problem, we can fix that, it won't be hard. So we get it home and it's much worse. The time and money to fix it are not worth it.
I go hunting again. This time I find a dresser at a yard sale. It's old and definitely needs a paint job and it's a little dirty. Those are things I can fix. It's solid wood and all the drawers are in good working condition. I haul it home and a neighbor helps us heft it inside. I start with wiping off the outside with the Lysol wipes. Man, it was dirtier than I expected. I ask Ben if he will help me move it to the garage so I can clean it out in there, and I'll probably just go ahead and paint it while I'm at it. I suggest maybe we just take the drawers out to make it a little lighter to carry. So Ben pulls out the top drawer. And I see something crawl out. And then I see several little things scurrying in the drawer. I start freaking out. Trying to yell at him to take the dresser outside. I guess it was a little hard to understand since he was too busy trying to figure out why I was freaking out. Cockroaches. Big ones, little ones, black and brown ones. He finally sees them and starts dragging it out. But one escapes! And everyone knows that it only takes 1 to make a million more. So while he's dealing with the dresser outside, I'm frantically tearing apart the room trying to find the creature. Every piece of bedding or clothing goes straight to the washer. The vacuum comes out. Finally I find the devil hiding in the corner and call the exterminator (Ben) to squish it. Ehhwheheh. When Ben takes the dresser out he discovers it is infested with cockroaches, like a nest in the very top of the dresser. There's no way I'm ever letting the dresser back in my house. Ever. Ben spends the next few hours digging a giant pit in our backyard, dousing the dresser in flammable fluid, and lighting the thing on fire. I'm so creeped out that I have to go take a shower. So now we know two things: When buying a used dresser take out every single drawer, pull them all the way out. And when buying a used dryer insist on running a load of clothes in it first to make sure it works. One day maybe I'll buy something shiny and new. What fun would that be though?
PS, I did find a dresser shortly after this and so far it appears to be a very normal used dresser with nothing wrong with it.
2 comments:
Ooooh, Kortney! I'd totally be freaking out about the roaches too, nasty!! What a pain! You live and learn... sometimes for the rest of us, too! ;)
Why is Kennedy going to be in school all day in Kindergarten? Sienna just started but it's only 3 hours/day and 2 hours on Fridays.
Post a Comment