Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Real Oregon Trail

Growing up I loved playing Oregon Trail, especially when I was supposed to be doing other things like schoolwork. Part of the fun of the game was seeing what terrible things would happen to your party as you traveled across the west- snake bites, running out of food, illness, heat exhaustion, getting caught in a blizzard, Indians stealing your supplies, etc. Now I'm not so excited about 1. the traveling and 2. the terrible things that might happen as we do it. We plan to leave here Friday evening and drive 12 hours to Utah, which means driving through the night. At least this should help us avoid heat exhaustion. I don't think we will run out of food, because Mom Nelson shops at Costco. We already got stuck in a blizzard once, so that should be checked off our list (and I think it's the wrong season for that). I don't think anyone will actually be bitten by a rattlesnake, but I'm sure after 12 hours in the car my ankles will look like it. And if 10-year-twins eating your Nilla wafers is comparable to Indians stealing your supplies, then count us in.

After spending 2-3 days in Utah for Russell's baby blessing and a family reunion, then we get to travel back to Rexburg and start the new adventure of moving into our apartment. That's when the "thou shalt not lift anything heavier than 25 lbs" starts to work in my favor. Mostly I am tired of traveling. I'd prefer to not be in a car, plane, train or boat. Especially without air conditioning (although I hear we are going to recharge it before we leave- which will give us 2-3 days of temperature regulation before it all leaks out again). Ben's not excited that we are spending our first anniversary at his brother's house, as that's the day they are blessing Russell.

We've been in Oregon for a week or so now (I have no concept of time anymore). It's been different from going from just Ben and me to a house full of people. Ben's been working and I've been, well, doing a whole lot of not much. Baking. I've kept 11 people in continuous supply of cookies and other treats- that is quite a feat. Shopping. My non maternity clothes are no longer an option, so I bought a few other things so I don't have to do laundry every 3 days. And Ben needed nice clothes for school, so I hit up the outlet stores here. Our little girl has more clothes than I do, and she prefers to be naked right now. No grandmother can resist buying cute little clothes, especially the $.25 at yard sales. Hopefully they will all fit in our car.

We've had some fun too. We went to Red Lobster (they don't have one in Alaska). We went swimming. We went and saw that new Batman movie. Pregnant women should not go see 2 1/2 hour movies that start at 8:30, it got over well past my bedtime. We want to pick blackberries, but we are anxiously waiting to see if they will ripen before we leave.

I stupidly injured myself again. This time I got in a fight with a razor. Sadly, I wasn't even shaving. I was washing my hair and my elbow caught an unsheathed razor that was hanging up. Luckily it only made it through the first 2 layers of skin.

And that's all. For now. I'm am sure we will have more stories for The Traveling Circus part deux.

No comments: